Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Perceiving Myself

Oh boy! I am now to look back on my past, evaluate my present, and predict my future based on the work I've put in it. I am now to end my psychology course and we are required to present a project about how we perceived each others life transition. I really find it very interesting. And psychology is my favorite among all the courses I took. I was even thinking after I finish my bachelor's degree of nursing, that I would work on being a doctor of psychology. I like to discover things that I mostly enjoy in life and enhance it. Anyway, below is what I have come up for myself.


Perceiving Myself


I perceived my past thru a poem. It was written when I was 19 years old. When I wrote this, I was kind of depressed and trying to be positive and determined to make life better at that point of time.


MY LIFE


I can live through the trials that life may throw my way,

I always stay thankful, day after day.

But sometimes I just want to lie down and die,

for hours and hours I sit there and cry.


Loves and losses, both come and go,

I learned from both, and it helps me grow.

My life isn't as bad as I make it to be,

but sometimes that's hard to see.


I have happy moments along with the sad,

not to mention the frustrating and bad.

But my life is on the right track,

its more or less white rather than black.


I can deal with what life throws my way,

no matter what I feel or say.

I thank God for blessing me,

because when things get bad, I always find a way.


Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way,

my future is brighter, sunnier than gray.

I'm looking forward past the pain,

My future is busy, I have so much to obtain!


Perceiving my present:

I compared my life now into 2 things:

  • an umbrella (the softer side of me)

  • a wasp (the tough side of me)


I would say that my life is like an umbrella because I've always been the shelter of people in times of need, most especially my family. I am like the roof over their heads so they don't get rained on. A provider, a leader, and a do-it-all type of person. Basically, I take care of everybody. That is the type of role that I have always run into ever since I became a young adult, and even now. I don't know why- I am thinking that it might really be my purpose in life. It is really hard to do all these things at one time, such as providing for others while you are pursuing your own dreams. But I know in the end, I will be blessed.


I've always been a people person. And in choosing my career, I even prefer something that deals with helping and taking care of others because it's what I am good at. That's why I am on the nursing field. It just felt like this is something that will make me happy and it's something I will do well, while at the same time providing purpose in my life. My present job deals with people that have special needs and I really enjoy it. And I have now made up my mind that this is what I want to do - not only because of the money thing; but it's where my passion and heart is.





And on the other aspect of my life regarding with my personal qualities, I compare myself to a wasp because I can be mean. I can be the sweetest person you will ever know but there is a part of me that you don't want to mess with. In pursuing my goals, I am always determined and will put all my energy into it until I get exactly the result that I wanted, by any means... ( despite all odds!). And if someone will try to pull me down, that person should beware because he is going to get his ass stung.


Perceiving my future:

I look at myself being a nurse and making a difference in other peoples lives. I see myself successful in all the things I am trying to do, such as having a good relationship with family and friends, and last but not the least, being physically & mentally fit. So hopefully, it's a future where I can look back and say I have done all the best out of life and I can label myself being happy and successfully aging.


Conclusion:


I believe that life is like a blank slate that is waiting for you to write something new upon . We are here to provide meaning in our own lives through the choices we make. Life is sometimes a hard road to travel in which we find ourselves in the constant changing, shifting, unfolding, unpredictable, and vibrant journey. Being oneself, takes a lot of courage but in return you will learn to exhibit qualities of fluidity, flexibility, adaptability, spontaneity, and inductive thinking that will get you through whatever hurdles that life may bring. I am very blessed and equipped with beauty, brain, talent, and endurance. I have a high self-esteem and I take pride in everything I do. However, I tried to use my gifts in a simple and humble way. After all, we are here to provide meaning in our own life as well as provide meaning for others. It's what I think life is all about.