Friday, January 28, 2011

My Experiment of Microbes




We do know that microbes are everywhere. Well, this is evidence that they do exists. I made this experiment last Wednesday (01/26/11) of this week. My area of choice was the bathroom seat & toilet. I went in there with my agar dish and a long sterile swab to draw into the surfaces. After I collected the samples, I incubated it for more than 24 hrs. to allow the bacteria to grow.

Images above were the result of my experiment. The spots that are formed in that dish were colonies of microbes. If you will look at it closely, they came in different forms which are an indication that they are of different types. Now, I don't have the accurate counting of this because it was so many of them. It would take me forever to accurately count them. I estimated about more than 500 colonies of bacteria and I pinpoint about 8 types of bacteria that I can recognized so far on this dish. It could be more than that. I was so disgusted! It was a pretty cool experiment though. So, you guys might want to think twice before sitting into a public restroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment