Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Types of Memory


Here are examples of the type of memory, I’ve learned on my psychology. I’ve made samples based on my life’s experiences with my explanation as well, so you will be able to differentiate between them easy.

Semantic Memory- consists of your general knowledge about the world.
Example:
I know what a Rat Terrier is. It’s a type of dog, poodles and beagles are other kinds of dogs. And I know that they can be trained, but nevertheless no matter how cute they are, they tend to poop in inconvenient places and shed hairs all over places.

This knowledge that I have illustrates an example of a semantic memory because I don’t remember where I learned that, but I know it anyway. According to Endel Tulving, who first came up with the distinction, that defining a feature of semantic memory- is something you know, even though you can’t remember where or when you learned it.

Episodic Memory- refers to a memory of specific episodes in one’s life and is what most people think of as memory. This type of memory are connected with a specific time and place.
Example:
I remember that it was my 23rd birthday in the year 2003 when I first got my driver’s license.

This illustrates as an episodic memory because I could not forget when I got my driver’s license for the first time because it was my birthday. Growing up from other country, everything was new to me. When I got here in United States I’m pretty much learning the new way of life and that includes driving. Boy, I was so happy to get a license to regain my freedom. Back home, we don’t have to drive to get places I wanna go. But when I got here, there is no way I will reach to my destination in a day if I will just walk.

Procedural Memory
- refers to the skills that human possess. Is often contrasted with episodic and semantic memory.
Example:
I remember when I bought a CD for workouts and just by reading the instruction written on the manual. I could almost picture it on my mind what are the steps to do because I’ve tried different types of workout before and I definitely know the basics without watching any video.

This illustrates as a procedural memory because I have linked my memory to some of the things that can be considered as episodic. In a way, that I’ve been through some workouts before and already know the basic steps. And semantic in a way that it was stored in my long term memory as general. I mean exercising have almost similar action depends on what type of workout you are doing that suits you well. So, oftentimes when I feel lazy and don’t wanna follow the video. I can just execute the actions myself and do my own thing knowing that I am doing the right thing because I pretty have much everything laid out on my mind.

Flashbulb Memories- are remarkably vivid and seemingly permanent memories. These memories are typically of highly emotional and personal event’s in one’s life.
Example:
I remember that day when I just came home from school. I was at our office and about to do some paperworks when I received a text from my family in the Philippines that my dad has been murdered.
I was shock and could not believe at first. I was crying horribly the moment I received the bad news. I never was able to do the paperworks I intend to do for that day and I was so glad that I did not receive that text while I’m at school or else I don’t know if I will be able to drive myself back.

This illustrates as a flashbulb memory because I never did forget that event because it has such an emotional impact on me and I’m pretty sure that it was stored in my long-term memory because until now I can still recall how I feel that day and where exactly I am and what I am doing. It was that intense feeling that I experienced at that moment that makes this memory be stored in a long-term process. I’ve learned too that most of the things that are stored in the long-term memory are the ones that are linked with emotions. It’s so true.


(originally written: May 24th, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment